With $38.1 million, Harry and Lloyd can avoid those 40 hour a week jobs. You can put me in the camp that thought Dumb and Dumber To would bomb. Not because it’s a late sequel, but it seemed that the studio wasn’t convinced. I barely saw any marketing behind the movie. The movie proved that you can be late to the sequel game, as long as you have the original cast and a semi-solid premise.
While the movie was seen as a gamble, Hollywood watchers were using the wrong template to compare it too. Two sequels that took forever to come to life are Wall Street 2 and Indiana Jones 4. I know, but we have to include the fourth Indy.
Both movies used their original stars to a degree, but counted on the influx of new talent – in this case Shia Lebeouf – to carry the film. Did it work? Not even close to what the studios were expecting.
There is definitely nostalgia at play here. Dumb and Dumber To gives moviegoers the chance to see Jim Carrey in his physical comedy form. Plus, Jeff Daniels is hilarious. Watching the Newsroom and then Dumb and Dumber is a trip in itself.
The $38 million is Carrey’s biggest live-action opening since Bruce Almighty in 2003. Fantastic, I feel old now.
All around it was a good weekend for Hollywood. Ticket sales were up 13 percent over the same week last week. Plus, the Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 is ready to take over the box office.
Below is the weekend’s top 10. Big Hero and Interstellar both held up going into their second weekend of release.
1. “Dumb and Dumber To,” $38.1 million ($9 million international).
2. “Big Hero 6,” $36 million ($11.9 million international).
3. “Interstellar,” $29.2 million ($106 million international).
4. “Beyond the Lights,” $6.5 million.
5. “Gone Girl,” $4.6 million ($4.8 million international).
6. “St. Vincent,” $4 million.
7. “Fury,” $3.8 million ($3.1 million international).
8. “Nightcrawler,” $3 million ($1.4 million international).
9. “Ouija,” $3 million ($3.3 million international).
10. “Birdman,” $2.5 million.
Follow News Ledge
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using one of the affiliated links.