After missing E3 earlier this month due to health reasons, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata also said he would miss Friday’s annual shareholder meeting. In the announcement, Iwata said he recently had surgery to remove a tumor in his bile duct and would need more time to recover before returning to work.
Iwata had the surgery last week and said in his letter to investors that he “came through it well.”
Nintendo declined to give further details about Iwata’s condition. No word on if the tumor was benign. Iwata said the growth was spotted during a routine physical exam and he had no symptoms.
“I have already resumed my business by email and by other means, but it is anticipated that a little more time is needed for me to return to my regular work schedule,” he said in his letter to investors.
Iwata and Nintendo have been under a lot of pressure to shift to mobile gaming following poor sales from its Wii U console. Nintendo has held fast in their current strategy and will continue to do so. Sales did pick up in May thanks to the release of Mario Kart 8. And, the company had a strong E3 showing with a new Star Fox and a tease of an open-world Zelda plus other titles.
We wish Iwata all the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.
Follow News Ledge
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using one of the affiliated links.