As 2017 draws to a close, the rumors are heating up for the upcoming Panasonic GH5s. Vloggers, get ready because this beast is almost purely video-centric. The full announcement should happen during Panasonic’s presser on January 8 at 10 am PST.
There is a puzzling ‘but’ in its nearly all video focused specs. The GH5s will be the first micro-four-thirds camera to support 14-bit RAW for stills. Considering the megapixel count taking a hit, many are wondering why bother, but it’s nice to see future m43s will support the format. It’s just odd it will be the GH5s.
Panasonic’s GH5s will be a shot across the bow at Sony’s A7SII with a focus on low light performance. Below are the latest rumored specs.
- Effective pixels: 10,280,000 pixels
- Total number of pixels: 11,930,000
- 4/3 LiveMOS sensor, primary color filter
- Digital zoom: 2x, 4x
- Extra tele conversion: max 2.0x for pictures, 2.1x for motions pictures
- Focus modes: AFS/AFF/AFC/MF
- Auto focus mode: Face/Eye detection/Tracking/225 area focusing/Custom/1 area focusing/Pinpoint
- 12 fps (10 fps RAW 14 bit)
- ISO: 160-51,200
- Extended ISO: 80-102,400
- Minimum Illumination: approx 5 lx
- Mechanical shutter speed: B (max 30 min), 60 sec – 1/8,000
- Electronic shutter: 1 sec – 1/16,000
- Motion pictures shutter: 1/25 – 1/6,000
- Metering range: EV 0 to EV 18
- Exposure compensation: -5 EV to + 5 EV (1/3 EV steps)
- RAW pictures: 14 bit/12 bit
- MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, ACC)
- Flash sync: 1/250
- Light metering system: 1728-zone multi-pattern sensing system
- LCD screen: 3.2″ TFT LCD (3:2), 1,620,000 dots, touchscreen
- Viewfinder: OLED (4:3), 3,680,000 dots
- Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Two memory card slots
- 4k photos
- HDMI Type A / USB 3.1
- Dimensions: 138,5×98.1×87.4
- Operating temperature: -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
- Stereo mic, USB 3.1, HDMI Type A, remote, TC in/out
- Monaural speakers
- Dust-proof and splash-proof body
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card (double slot recording function available)
Panasonic GH5s Price?
It’s an extra $500 over the current GH5 at a rumored $2500. If you’re like me, you’ll want to see just how well it handles low light situations and if the AF keeps up. Hybrid shooters who want to take stills and video may want to lean towards the GH5. Keep the extra $500 for lenses.
What follows after the GH5s will be Sony’s response. The company is heading in reverse in updating the A7-series of cameras. We have the A7RIII to end 2017. Will the A7SIII emerge quickly in 2018? It’s Sony, and they do love announcing new cameras.
Sound off in the comments. What would you like to see in the GH5s or are the rumored specs what you wanted? Personally, I was hoping for an integrated ND filter, but no such luck as of now. This post will be updated as rumors emerge and we edge closer to the announcement.