We’re on the backend of June, which means it’s time for another Battlegrounds monthly content update. The crew at Bluehole is keeping the steady dose of new content coming with two new weapons. A pistol and an SMG. Still no love for assault rifles. Where’s my G36?
Let’s take a closer look at the new weapons.
First up, the SMG/AR hybrid. The OTs-14 Groza is chambered in 7.62 and will only spawn in the airdrops that come in periodically. Bluehole’s Brendan Greene described the gun as being good from close to mid-range. Slapping a 4x scope on it helps the long-range engagements, but it’ll be more suited for close fights.
Next, a pistol. The Glock 18-C uses 9mm rounds. But this isn’t your usual Battlegrounds pistol. The Glock has a selective fire mode (semi/full) and can be equipped with red dot scopes and silencers. Welp, no more ignoring pistols for me.
6/27/2017 Update: Full patch notes for the June update were just released. Take a look.
– Improved network performance by reducing the amount of data being sent from the server to the client.
– Reduced network lag by preventing a large amount of data being sent from the server to the client simultaneously.
– Fixed an issue of frame drop when other characters were around by optimizing nearby characters.
– Fixed an issue of frame drop when vehicles were around by optimizing vehicles.
– Optimized the starting airplane and Care Package airplanes.
– Improved rendering performance of weapons from far-off.
– Made improvements to the weapon animations.
– Optimized many in-game effects, including the red zone bombing effect.
– Improved many UI features.
– Improved features regarding rainy weather.
– Added Groza. Groza is an AR chambered for 7.62mm ammo, and can only be acquired in Care Packages.
– Added P18C. P18C is a pistol chambered for 9mm ammo with a full auto fire-mode.
– Vector and UMP now support burst mode.
– You can now pick up items while moving. The interaction animation will not force you to stop anymore, but make you walk slowly.
– You may interact with doors, items, or vehicles while reloading. Reloads will be canceled with such interactions.
– The screen will be gradually desaturated based on remaining health during the REVIVE state.
– Blood effect does not appear during the REVIVE state anymore.
– Adjusted kill count system in Duo and Squad modes. A person knocking an opponent out will receive a kill count regardless of the actual killer.
– Adjusted F key (interaction) to prioritize the REVIVE action in certain cases
– You can now pull out pistols faster.
– Fire mode can no longer be switched during reload.
– Adjusted the play area to spawn more evenly within a circle, so that the play area does not appear in the center so frequently.
– Adjusted default quantity to be selected at 1 when pressing CTRL key at inventory to partially drop or pick up items.
– Adjusted motorcycle and motorcycle with sidecar to move more smoothly.
– You can no longer switch to/from prone while picking up items.
– Red Dot Sight is now attachable to pistols, except for the revolver.
– Increased the recoil on UMP.
– Added two new weather settings: Sunset and Clear Skies.
– Added destructible cabins.
– Added new animation for when a character is at the speed of taking fall damage.
Items & Vehicles
– Adjusted vehicles to face random directions at spawn.
– Adjusted loot balance for certain items.
– VSS will no longer be found in Care Packages. It will remain to be spawned in the map.
– At a low probability, you will be able to acquire AR Silencers, SR Silencers, and 4x Scopes in Care Packages.
– Spawn rate of UMP was slightly decreased.
– Spawn rate of UZI was slightly increased.
– Level 1 Helmet was being spawned at a much higher rate than the Level 1 Vest, and the spawn rate was adjusted so that both items will be spawned at a similar rate.
– Increased spawn rate of items in regions and buildings with relatively low spawn rate.
– Changed the names of certain weapon attachments.
– Adjusted the spawn time of vehicles and speedboats, so that they can be seen from farther away.
– Improved the starting airplanes.
– Cargo door opens when participants get ejected from the airplane.
– Optimized lighting inside and outside of the airplane.
– Adjusted the direction of teammate icons to the direction the teammate faces.
– Added teammate list on World Map.
– Improved character’s recoil animation.
– Removed death marks of teammates after a certain period of time or distance away from the place of death.
– Added three new languages: Thai, Indonesian, and Vietnamese.
– Fixed an issue when the voice chat volume blasted momentarily after getting on an airplane.
– Fixed an issue where the character was not at the center of the screen while on a parachute.
– If you reload into game while in a parachute, you will still be in the parachute.
– Prevented users from removing outer walls of buildings by deleting certain files.
– Partially fixed a bug that caused a character to be stuck in terrain.
– Fixed a bug that caused a character to be misplaced after getting in a vehicle.
– Fixed a bug that caused effects to look identical underwater and outside of water.
– Fixed a bug that caused a character to make an interaction motion trying to pick up an item when there is no inventory space.
– Fixed a client crash that occurred when fences were destroyed.
– Fixed an issue of invisible fences even after destruction.
Original article continues.
Battlegrounds confirmed two new guns are coming as part of the June update in their tweet about the Glock. Note the “2nd new weapon” part of the post.
ICYMI Here is a better look at the 2nd new weapon being added to the game in our June update! pic.twitter.com/58IlWAWho8
— PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS) June 19, 2017
Besides the new guns, the devs are taking a crack at improving server performance big time. And Battlegrounds needs it. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed much more lag in recent weeks. Especially at the start of the match. It seems to smooth out for me once the first wave of people dies. Hopefully, Bluehole can find the issues and get Battlegrounds matches running silky smooth.
Even with the server hiccups, I’m still having a blast. Almost at 200 hours, and plenty of chicken dinners.
What’s coming soon(ish) to Battlegrounds
Brendan ‘PlayerUnknown’ Greene was on hand at E3 to show off what the team at Bluehole are busy working on with Battlegrounds. An Xbox One version is coming later this year (it’s a console launch exclusive so don’t worry PS4 folks, you’ll get it too). But it’s the short trailer from the PC Gaming Show that has Battlegrounds fans like me pumped.
Climbing and vaulting are game changers. No more running around that concrete wall that is just a little too high. Or shooting white picket fences. Those days will soon be over.
The real crazy stuff will come when vaulting enters the game. Jumping out of building windows is going to be nuts. You aren’t stuck on the first floor anymore. Just hop out the tiny window on the side and flank your foes.
New weather settings fill in the gap between a sunny day and thunderstorms. Fog and sunset will change it up.
No details on when climbing, vaulting and weather are coming to Battlegrounds, but it shouldn’t be too long. We see video of the features in action above. I doubt it’s coming in the June update. We would have heard about that by now. July/August are probably good bets.
Further down the road are two new maps. We haven’t seen any screenshots or videos of them yet, but GameInformer posted a couple of sketches last month showing what they’ll look like. I imagine Bluehole wants to get the game running as stable as possible before tossing in new maps.
I’ll keep this post updated once patch notes for the June update hit.