The Month 2 patch notes for PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds are here, and they’re going to change how we play on our quest to be the last man standing. I’m going to cover a few of the bigger changes and post the full patch notes towards the bottom.
The monthly update is live now after a little uncertainty earlier this morning.
Good news everyone! We will be pushing the monthly update to the Stable Servers at 1PM UTC / 3PM CEST / 6AM PDT / 10PM KST
— PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS) May 25, 2017
A few problems popped up on the Test Server build that led to the devs delaying the patch until next week. A few hours later the devs reversed course and announced the update would go live today. With one change. The loot animation for dragging/dropping will not go live today.
FYI We have rolled back the change to the pickup loot mechanic due to a bug found in the animation system!
— PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS) May 25, 2017
Original article continues.
First, the new content.
The VSS – Another month, another new weapon. This time, it’s the sniper weapons getting more love. The VSS comes with all the bells and whistles already attached. An integrated suppressor with a 4X scope sitting on top. The new sniper is chambered in 9mm so don’t expect the stopping power of the AWM or M24. What it lacks in stopping power, it makes up for with a quieter shot. Keep an eye out for care package drops to pick up the VSS. It’ll also be an extremely rare loot spawn on the map.
Oh, and it can also be toggled to full auto.
Here’s a short preview of how our new weapon, the VSS, sounds… pic.twitter.com/ghhdEMZ4hG
— PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS) May 23, 2017
Motorbike – This one won’t include the sidecar. I’m already picturing teams of four motorbikes cruising around. And you can do stunts now too. If you’re feeling a little more dangerous.
— PLAYERUNKNOWN (@BattleRoyaleMod) May 23, 2017
Now the gameplay changes.
– Reduced the moving speed of the two final play zones for better engagement during the endgame.
Good move, Bluehole. Engagements always favor the team already at the safe zone. And they should. But not so much that teams running from the blue circle of death can’t fight back. We’ll see how much the devs slowed the final two playzones, but it should open up liven up the endgame a little bit.
– Vector: Reduced bullet damage slightly. Increased deviation gain per shot.
Again, another necessary change. The Vector with an extended mag slapped onto it is insane. Anytime I found one I was dropping my UMP for it. Hopefully, the devs didn’t weaken it too much. It should still be stronger than the UMP. It uses a stronger round and has a much smaller clip size.
– Shotguns. Reduced pellet damage slightly.
I don’t envy developers when it comes to balancing shotguns. They’re supposed to be absurdly strong at close range. But it can leave many of us screaming they’re too powerful when we get one-hit dropped by them. We’ll have to wait and see exactly how much Bluehole tweaked them. I wouldn’t mind seeing slug ammo added eventually to give them a little more versatility at low-to-mid-range.
– AKM. Increased bullet damage slightly.
It wasn’t all bad news for weapons. The AKM gets a slight boost to make it as appealing as the M16 and M4.
– Added new scope rendering method (parallax free) allowing for greater aiming precision.
It explains why it feels like we were shooting too high on follow up shots. Check it out.
— PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS) May 22, 2017
Damn, I thought the aiming was a little weird sometimes – but I didn’t think it was that bad. Hell, this will probably be the most game-changing fix coming this week.
– Added a character animation for when dragging an item into the inventory.
Dammit! There goes my faster looting. It also throws a wrinkle into looting people you just killed. No more dancing side to side to avoid gunshots while you’re grabbing all those energy drinks. Oh well, you had to think Bluehole would fix it eventually.
Here’s the full list of changes, fixes and additions coming on Thursday. Servers will go down for about one hour on May 25th at 1:00 am PT/4:00 am ET.
Early Access – Month 2 – Patch Notes
– Improved CPU usage for world level streaming
– Improved rendering performance of fences
– Improved rendering performance of grass
– Improved rendering performance for weapons and attachments seen at distance
– Improved rendering performance by modifying certain weapon and vehicle effects that were unnecessarily rendered at distance
– Improved character animation performance
– Improved effect performance
– Improved the performance of team-mate name plate, map and mini-map in teamplay
– Added VSS. A suppressed sniper rifle with permanent 4X scope & chambered for 9mm ammo. This new weapon can be found in carepackages & as a very rare loot spawn
– Added Motorbike
– Reduced the moving speed of the two final play zones for better engagement during the endgame
– Made a balance pass on certain weapons:
– Reduced bullet damage slightly
– Increased deviation gain per shot
– Reduced pellet damage slightly
– Increased bullet damage slightly
– Fixed an issue where the players alive count would reduce when a player disconnected. Now the count will only go down upon the players death.
Action & Gunplay
– Now players can put stock attachments on following weapons:
– SKS : Sniper rifle cheek pad
– Vector : Tactical stock (for M416)
– Adjusted the color of the aiming point for the basic crossbow scope.
– Added new scope rendering method (parallax free) allowing for greater aiming precision
– Improved ADS view
– Modified recoil for following weapons: AKM, SCAR, M16, M416
– Fixed an issue allowing a player to zoom in with right click when waiting before throwing a grenade
– Decreased the time to ADS when using the 2X scope
– Added punctured wheel effect and sound
– Added burnt markings to vehicles after being destroyed
– Added the motorbike number plate image
– When a vehicle explodes, the fences near the vehicle will now also be destroyed
– Added new vegetation to the lobby
– Players can press ‘delete’ to remove their marker placed on the world map
– Adjusted the transparency of mini-map grid and coordinates text to make the map more visible
– Added a dotted line towards the next play zone on the mini-map
– Modified the icon design of the First Aid Kit
– Added Thai language in language options
– Added new key bindings for hold breath, motorbike air control and switch to previous weapon
– Improved the sound of Motorbike
– Added sound for door destruction effect
– Fixed a bug that caused vehicles to be spawned in garages consistantly. Vehicles should be spawned at a higher rate in garages, but not at 100%
– Fixed an issue that disabled bullet tracing for SKS
– Fixed a bug that caused the game client to crash when a flashbang goes off
– Partially fixed bug that caused a character to get stuck in terrain, buildings or objects
– Partially fixed a bug that caused a vehicle to get stuck in buildings, fences or other vehicles
– Partially fixed a bug that caused items to be unlootable
– Fixed a bug that caused carepackages to shake when falling
– Fixed a bug that caused a throwable weapon to be thrown in the freelook direction and not the direction in which a character is facing
– Fixed an issue with two markers being visible when placing a marker in the airplane after placing it in the lobby
– Fixed a bug that caused a player icon to be doubled up on the minimap.
– Fixed a bug that caused the same color for two teammate icons
– Fixed a bug that caused the final play zone to be created over water
– Fixed a bug that sporadically muted the rain sound
– Significantly mitigated an issue that allowed a player in a closed house to be killed by the red zone bombs
– Fixed a bug that caused animation not to stop when using consumable items while reviving a teammate
– Fixed a bug that caused a character experience the damage effect at random
– Fixed a bug that caused all teammates to enter the REVIVE state when one teammate is hit by a bomb in Red Zone while being in a vehicle
– Fixed a bug that caused the REVIVE gauge not to disappear when the character being revived is disconnected
– Fixed a bug that caused the sound volume of UMP with silencer to be too low
– Fixed a bug that caused throwable items not to drop when switching to other weapons
– Fixed a bug that caused the trace effect to not disappear after using throwable weapons
– Fixed a bug where removing the pin from a grenade was canceled by changing the throwing posture.
– Fixed an issue with compass points not matching the actual direction when in the passenger seat of a vehicle
– Added a character animation for when dragging an item into the inventory