Tired of dying from Boba Fett all the time? I’ve got good news. DICE released their Star Wars Battlefront January update today tweaking Heroes, weapons, Star Cards and more. You can read the full patch notes here, and I’ll cover some of the bigger changes below.
– EE-3 Explosive Shot damage decreased from 10 to 4 per shot.
– Explosive Shot active time decreased, Normal from 7 to 5 and Upgrade from 10 to 7.
Man, I loved using Explosive Shot combined with the EE-3 (that’s the burst rifle). Cheap? You bet, but it was a guaranteed 2 to 4 kills every time I activated it. You could kill people in just two bursts.
– Homing Shot lock on time increased from 0.4 to 1.5.
– Homing Shot lock on distance decreased by 10 meters.
– Homing Shot projectile speed decreased from 30 to 23.
Thank you, DICE. I can’t tell you the number of times I cursed at my TV after getting hit by a Homing Shot. You can evade it if you’re paying attention – but the tweaks should give potential victims a better chance at shaking the lock on.
Several other Star Cards were tweaked including:
– Scan Ping recharge time tweaked (Normal 8 to 10 and Upgrade 5 to 8).
– Scan Ping tweaked to have 50% shorter spotting time.
– ION Torpedo lock on range decreased from 600 to 500 meters
– ION Torpedo replenish time tweaked (Normal 15 to 25 and Upgrade 12 to 20)
– Smart Rocket lock on range changed from 1000 to 500 meters
– Barrage recharge times increased, Normal from 18 to 40 and Upgrade from 15 to 35
– Thermal Detonator replenish time tweaked (Normal 15 to 20 and Upgrade 10 to 15)
– Impact Grenade replenish time tweaked (Normal 16 to 25 and Upgrade 12 to 20)
There are a handful of other Star Card tweaks, but these are the major ones. Anyone who plays Battlefront knows Star Cards change the game big time, especially upgraded ones. DICE agrees and made significant changes to many of them. Homing Shot, Explosive Shot and Barrage are the big ones for me. So is Smart Rocket.
Battlefront’s multiplayer is unbalanced. It’s just the nature of the beast. With Star Cards, players instantly get an advantage whether it’s with damage or locating enemies. The January update shows us DICE wants the second-to-second gameplay to be more balanced. It’ll never be perfectly balanced, but these tweaks are good step towards toning town how over-powered certain Star Cards are. I’m interested in trying out Explosive Shot after these tweaks. The EE-3 was my go to gun in large part because of Explosive Shot.
Are you a fan of Fighter Squadron? This next tweak is long overdue.
– Millennium Falcon and Slave I health decreased by 30%
You know they have too much health when the person flying the Millennium Falcon resorts to turning on shields and crashing into Slave I.
Han Solo and Boba Fett were the targets of tweaks in this update.
– Han Solo weapon damage over distance is lowered. Damage goes from 70 (was 75) to 30 (was 35) between 10 (was 20) and 25 (was 40) meters
– Boba Fett weapon damage over distance is lowered. Damage goes from 30 to 20 (was 25) between 30 and 60 (was 80) meters
– Boba Fett wrist launcher explosion radius decreased from 4 to 2.5, maximum damage increased from 1 to 1.2 meters
– Boba Fett missile doesn’t lock on anymore
No more camping for Boba Fett players? We won’t know what to do anymore now that the wrist rocket doesn’t lock on.
There’s much more in the update including changes to game modes and vehicle spawns. Check out the full patch notes here.
Battlefront DLC roadmap
DICE also revealed its plans for free DLC and what’s coming in the Season Pass. Here’s the free content coming tomorrow.
The Tatooine Survival map is getting multiplayer support. Battlefront’s smaller modes get a new map called Raider Camp.
New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, if you care about that sort of thing.
Private matches. That should have been in at launch, but better late than never.
And Daily Challenges and Community Events. Extra credits will be awarded for each challenge and event completed.
The free content keeps coming over the next two months. In February, DICE is giving Survival fans some love with a new mission on Hoth. Only play large Battlefront modes like me? DICE is hooking us up too with a new Hoth multiplayer map for support of all of Battlefront’s large modes. Turning Point will also be making its way to every map that supports Walker Assault and Supremacy in the February update.
In March, we get another new multiplayer map on Endor with large mode support. An extra survival map on Tatooine will also be released.
What about the season pass? DICE offered a few details on its plans for this year.
– Star Wars Battlefront Outer Rim (March 2016) – Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine
– Star Wars Battlefront Bespin (Summer 2016) – It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
– Star Wars Battlefront Death Star (Autumn 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
– Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
Bespin and the Death Star! Hell yeah! Now just give us a Fighter Squadron map outside the Death Star. Come on DICE, you can do it.
So there you have it. Battlefront gets a much-needed update, and DICE gives us dates on when to expect DLC. Which tweaks are you glad to see in this month’s update?
Follow News Ledge
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using one of the affiliated links.