I have some bad news. Total War: Warhammer has been delayed until May 24. It was originally slated for an April 28 release. I guess May is the new November. There’s going to be a little something for everyone.
Why the delay? It gives Creative Assembly some extra time to make sure Total War: Warhammer is polished. Plus, they want reviewers to have plenty of time with the game.
Good news: This because we don’t want to rush it, and because we do want to make sure reviews come out before launch
The delay is usually enough to get anyone’s attention, but it was the specs for Total War: Warhammer that did it for me. Besides the usual specs, Creative Assembly also tells us what kind of FPS we can expect at the different spec level. I haven’t seen this done before (let me know if I’m wrong), but I like it.
Here are the Minimum Specs.
– Expected around 15-25 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low” – Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit – Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz – RAM: 3GB* – Hard Drive: 35 GB – Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P – (*)PC integrated graphics chipsets require 4GB ram, e.g. Intel HD series
And that’s why I have a GTX 970. Total War fans with a setup close to the Minimum Specs probably want to look into upgrading their PCs.
Here are the Recommended Specs.
– Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “High” – Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit – Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz – RAM: 8 GB – Hard Drive: 35 GB -Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @1080P
I’m sure you can hit 60 frames per second if you adjust some of the graphics settings.
Here are the 60FPS+ Specs.
– Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”
– Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
– Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
– RAM: 8 GB
– Hard Drive: 35 GB
– Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P
Creative Assembly also released the current graphics presets for Total War: Warhammer. The developer does note these presets could change before release date.
Yeah, I’ll be tweaking a couple of these to make sure I hit a steady 60 frames per second. What kind of FPS will your computer get?
A one month delay sucks, but I’m all for a developer getting more time to work on their game if they need it. Maybe the extra month means Warhammer won’t see a bumpy launch. The big problem is going to be figuring out how I’ll have any time to play most of the games coming in May.
Here are a couple of Total War: Warhammer videos to keep your mind off the delay. Last week, Creative Assembly gave us a look at the Dwarfs Campaign.