Imagine you’re hiking in a group. Got the GoPro mounted, using your iPhone to take enough pictures to make a Kardashian blush. Gotta feed the power-hungry beasts. Now you could have multiple battery packs.
Or, you could go green. How green? A damn portable wind turbine. I just saw Al Gore tear up. Meet Trinity, the portable wind turbine designed to make all your friends green with envy.
The Trinity wind turbine is all about portability. Four models are offered, and the heaviest tips the scale at 42 pounds. I’m not sure I’d want to add 42 pounds to my pack, but it would be great for a base camp style operation.
How about ultra light? Go with the Trinity 50. 1.4 pounds with a 7,500 mAh battery onboard. All the models start generating power in 4 mph winds. The Trinity 50 packs down to 12 inches high and 2 inches in diameter. It’s good for about four charges to a completely dead iPhone.
Every Trinity unit comes with a Li-ion battery pack that are replaceable. The three blade system unfurls to stand on its built-in tripod. Durable plastics are used to withstand the rigors of daily use.
In a high wind environment? Opt for the vertical blade positioning. Low wind conditions can keep the horizontal setup, resembling the traditional wind turbine look.
The larger Trinity models, the 1000 and 250 have grid tie inverters to work with your RV or home. That’s right, you can not only impress your camping buddies, but you can also order Trinity turbines to power your home.
Here are the breakdowns for each model.
I’ll be the first to admit I have a serious gadget problem. You show me a compact wind turbine, and the gadget nerd in me goes nuts. Outside of the portability, Trinity makes a lot of sense for those looking to go green at home.
Here is how it stacks up to other wind turbines in the market:
- Trinity 2500 weighs only 19 kg (42 lbs) while other Wind Turbines weigh from 100 to 300 kg (220 to 660 lbs).
- While you need an electrician to wire other Wind Turbines into the power system of your home you only need to plug your Trinity into a wall socket and it converts the power it generates and stores so it will provide power to all other wall sockets.
- With other Wind Turbines on the market, you need to get an inverter, batteries and controllers separately but all these features are built into Trinty.
- Other Wind Turbines on the market will cost you 2-4 times more than the Trinity 2500 and installing them is a lot of work. The Trinity is the only truly portable Wind Turbine on the market so you can easily take it with you for other usages
- In the USA the purchase and installation of a system large enough to power an entire home costs, on average, $30,000, but the price can go up to $70,000 depending on the size and installation expenses.
- In the UK a 2500W system costs between £9,900 and £19,000
Of course, it has an app where you can shut the system off during strong storms and monitor the power it is generating.
The wind turbines are manufactured in a factory in Reykjavik, Iceland. Taking advantage of the free trade agreements, it makes it easy to ship the turbines across the globe.
It’s a cool personal connection for me. My family spent a couple years at the Naval Air Station Keflavik. For those not familiar with the area, it’s decently close to Reykjavik.
Janulus, the company behind Trinity, has already blitzed past the $50,000 funding goal. Delivery is set for April 2016, so backers will have to settle in for a bit of a wait.
Personally, I think the wait is worth it. Creating a wind turbine isn’t your typical Kickstarter project. It needs to be done right.
How much? It depends on the model. Here are the breakdowns (I’m stripping out early bird pricing – not many slots remains):
Trinity 50: $399
Trinity 400: $1099
Trinity 1000: $2999
Trinity 2500: $5999
Worldwide shipping is free.
It’s a hell of a project. The plug-and-play nature makes it an easy option for homeowners looking to go green. Trinity’s portability makes it the coolest camping accessory around to power all your electronics.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using one of the affiliated links.