It doesn’t take much reading to see why Teforia landed $5.1 million in pre-launch seed funding. Tea is an art to many, so it only makes sense you make your favorite cup in a piece of art.
The funding round was led by Upfront Ventures with participation from Lemnos Labs, PreAngel and InnoSpring. Followers of the VC community will recognize all the names – Upfront was behind signature investments in Overture, The Mighty and BillMeLater. Both Overture and BillMeLater were later acquired.
Lemnos Labs is an early-stage hardware incubator behind startups such as Pantry and 6SensorLabs. PreAngel’s portfolio is easily recognizable with their investment in Stower, the maker of the FlameStower Fire Charger.
Innospring is Silicon Valley’s first US-China startup incubator. The seed fund is backed by growth-stage VC funds such as IDG Capital and Kleiner Perkins.
What does the funding mean for the company? It continues the company’s trek towards manufacturing the first batch of infusers and its R&D program into new product initiatives.
The company quickly sold out of its first-run of Teforia infusers but have released an additional 250 units for presale that will ship in Spring 2016. Pricing for each is $699 – a 45% discount off the MSRP of $1299.
Those interested in securing a Teforia should jump over to the company’s site today. The first batch of were gone in days. Today’s batch is even smaller.
Check out our initial impressions of the Teforia. For those that need a quick refresher, here’s the company’s readout of the infuser:
- Personal recipe creation–Users can seamlessly adjust the various properties of any tea to create and save their own recipes with custom antioxidant levels, flavor and aroma notes.
- Caffeine management–Program customized day and night settings for brewing tea with ideal caffeine levels based on your preferences and performance needs at various times of the day. Users are even able to decrease caffeine content by up to 67%.
- Antioxidant amplification–Users can increase the amount of Gallocatechin (one of the major antioxidants found in tea) by up to 133% to create even healthier cups of tea.
- Eco-friendly packaging–All Teforia tea packaging is made from paper pulp and is fully recyclable and compostable.
- Elegant design–Transparent infusion chamber and carafe allow users to experience the beauty and magic of dancing tea leaves and sophisticated SIPS technology (Selective Infusion Profile System) to remain more connected than ever with the ancient ritual of tea brewing.
It’s the tea infuser you always wanted and would have to hide from any friends and family members that have klepto-tendencies. Look for our review of the Teforia as we march closer to the Spring 2016 launch.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using one of the affiliated links.