Another retailer leak spoiled a game. This time it was Amazon with a product page for Darksiders 3. The leak was quickly followed up with a reveal trailer via IGN First. Darksiders is back, and this time we’re playing as Fury. She’s the brother of War, the main character from the first Darksiders, and one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
We get a glimpse of the story and gameplay elements in the short teaser. Fury is tasked with hunting down the Seven Deadly Sins. Her whip and magic hint at the changes coming to the gameplay.
Darksiders fans will notice a new name working on this one, but they shouldn’t worry. Gunfire Games is made up of many of the folks that worked on Darksiders 1 and 2 as part of Vigil Games. David Adams founded Vigil Games and would go on to form Gunfire Games.
He’s joined by key personnel from Vigil Games who had a hand in creating the Darksiders franchise. The Game Director, Executive Producer, Technical Director, Technical Art Director, Lead Environment Artist, Lead UI Artist, Principal Animator and more from Vigil Games are now at Gunfire Games.
It’s a new name working on the Darksiders franchise, but it’s many of the same people that made the first two games. Look for Gunfire Games to build on what made the first two Darksiders such a blast to play, and change things up a little bit with a new protagonist.
– Play as FURY – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
– Harness FURY’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities.
– Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which FURY moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story.
– Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings.
– Sit in awe of Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature.
I wonder how Darksiders 3 will approach an “open-ended, living, free-form game world.” The open-world genre has made huge leaps since the last Darksiders game released in 2012. The Witcher 3 set a bar that many games still struggle to even approach. It’ll be interesting to see how Gunfire Games expands on the Darksiders formula.
No specific release date was mentioned in the trailer besides a 2018 release date. It wouldn’t shock me to see THQ Nordic aim for a spring/summer release date. I’ll be keeping this one on my radar.